From a dynasty of reining legends, NRHA Professional Cade McCutcheon has always seemed destined for greatness. During his first year in open competition in 2019, McCutcheon proved himself when he not only won the NRHA Level 4 Open Futurity Championship and Reserve Championship but also became an NRHA $1 Million Rider. As one of the youngest riders to ever receive the accolade, he is proving himself once again—now as an NRHA $2 Million Rider.
Hailing from Aubrey, Texas, McCutcheon grew up immersed in reining. With his dad and mom, Tom and Mandy, being two of the top professional and non pro riders (respectively), it was a natural progression for McCutcheon to take the reins as a trainer within his father’s prestigious business: Tom McCutchen Reining Horses. There, the 23-year-old established an impressive training operation, a testament to his talent, hard work, and the enduring support of his team and family.
Before the 2023 NRHA Futurity & Adequan® North American Affiliate Championships (NAAC), McCutcheon was less than $6,000 away from $2 million in NRHA lifetime earnings (LTE). With three mounts in the futurity and one in the NAAC, the talented professional blew past the milestone on finals night with an impressive run aboard the Deana Nell bred and nominated All Nite Partier (Gunners Special Nite x Topsail Survivor) owned by Sotol Investments LLC. The 224-point performance earned the duo a third-place finish in the L4 Open and over $90,000, catapulting McCutcheon across the NRHA $2 Million Rider milestone.
On March 8, McCutcheon will compete at The American Performance Horseman, presented by Teton Ridge in Arlington, Texas, for $1 million in prize money. He will compete on Team Regal Red with Austin Shepard, National Cutting Horse Association professional, and Sarah Dawson, National Reined Cow Horse Association professional. Attendees will also hear live music from Luke Bryan. Visit americanrodeo.com to purchase tickets to watch the action in Globe Life Stadium and cheer on McCutcheon in person.
McCutcheon’s top earning finishes since crossing $1 million include:
- 2023 NRHA L4 Open Futurity third place aboard All Nite Partier (Gunners Special Nite x Topsail Survivor) – owned by Sotol Investments LLC and bred by Deana Nell, earning $91,545
- 2022 The Run for a Million (TRFAM) Million Dollar Competition fourth place aboard Modern Gun (Gunners Special Nite x Taris Modern Design) – owned by Ms Stables and bred by Turnabout Farm Inc., earning $70,000
- 2021 TRFAM Million Dollar Competition sixth place aboard Modern Gun (Gunners Special Nite x Taris Modern Design) – owned by Ms Stables and bred by Turnabout Farm Inc., earning $50,000
- 2023 TRFAM Million Dollar Competition sixth place aboard Varsity Blu (Wimpy Chic x Flo N Blu Boon) – owned by Clark Reining Horse LLC and bred by Alpha Quarter Horses LLC, earning $45,000
- 2020 NRHA L4 Open Futurity fifth place aboard Gunners Town (Hollywoodstinseltown x Bubblegun) – owned by Duff Cattle and bred by Kimberly Tillman, earning $42,147
The professional’s accomplishments showcase a level of expertise and dedication that inspires fellow competitors and enthusiasts alike. As McCutcheon continues to make his mark in the world of reining, NRHA celebrates his extraordinary achievement and eagerly anticipates his future contributions to the sport.