A legendary reining horse and two stallions whose descendents continue to influence the reining horse industry will be inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame later this year.
Officials announced the 2022 American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame Induction & Reunion Celebration will return to the association’s headquarters in Amarillo, Texas. Slated for Sept. 16-17, officials say the multi-day celebration will be filled with events honoring previous and current inductees.
Quarter Horse Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Six horses and seven AQHA members will be inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2022.
The horses are:
- EquiStat Elite $13 Million Sire and reining legend Topsail Whiz, a 1987 chestnut stallion
- Racehorse turned Western performance horse sire Big Step, a 1956 sorrel stallion who influenced today’s reining breeding industry
- Cutting horse Easter King, a 1951 sorrel stallion who is found in some of today’s top reining bloodlines
- Halter stallion Impressive, a 1969 sorrel stallion
- Timed-event and speed sire Sun Frost, a 1979 palomino stallion
- Racehorse and leading racing stallion Corona Cartel, a 1994 bay stallion
The individuals are:
- late AQHA Director Emeritus John Andreini of San Mateo, California
- James V.A. Carter of Clovis, California
- Mary Hopkins of Vicksburg, Mississippi, who was an AQHA judge, trainer and advocate for youth and Equestrians With Disabilities riders
- AQHA Past President Sandra Arledge of Encinitas, California
- trainer and judge Walter T. Hughes and wife Nancy of Damascus, Maryland
- trainer Jerry Wells of Sulphur, Oklahoma
During this memorable celebration, the American Quarter Horse family will honor inductees in a variety of ways. The event will feature moving video tributes, the dedication of inductee exhibits, the opportunity to hear stories from these legends; and much more.
Officials say the weekend allows attendees the chance to reflect on the impact the inductees have had on the American Quarter Horse industry. Induction into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame is the highest industry honor that can be bestowed upon a human or equine. Those chosen for induction are recognized for their lifetime of accomplishments and service.
Tickets and more information are available at www.aqha.com/celebration.