Rancho Oso Rio LLC recently became only the third in history to reach the status of NRHA Two Million Dollar Owner.
Ooned by Jim and Pat Warren, Rancho Oso Rio joined Arcese Quarter Horses, USA, and Rosanne Sternberg at the Two Million Dollar level. The Scottsdale, Arizona, ranch reached the million-dollar mark in 2012.
Rancho Oso Rio came into the 2020 NRHA Derby presented by Markel just $1,000 short of the achievement. Ranch manager and NRHA Five Million Dollar Rider Andrea Fappani piloted Rancho Oso Rio-owned Shine Plum Shine (Shine Chic Shine x Plum Reyning x Mr Solano Rey) to tie to win the $6,000-added ancillary open class on Day Two of the marquee event, which paid $1,846—just enough to push Rancho Oso Rio onto the short list of NRHA Two Million Dollar Owners.
“This recognition is really all about Pat and Jim Warren,” said Fappani, head trainer at Rancho Oso Rio for 10 years. “They’ve been part of the sport for a long time. When they started, these major events didn’t pay as much as they do now. They stuck with it and hired some of the most influential trainers in the business, including Dell Hendricks, Randy Paul, and now myself. It’s special because they’ve been part of the entire circle, from breeding and raising foals to Pat showing in the non pro to having very successful open-caliber horses.”
Rancho Oso Rio’s Best
The outstanding stock that represents Rancho Oso Rio could fill a book of its own, but a few standout horses have helped the ranch make headlines and win big checks. Here are just a handful of those horses and their most notable accomplishments:
- Spooky Whiz: The 2013 gelding, currently owned by Kristie Banks, was sired by Spooks Gotta Whiz and out of Myo Starlight (by Paddys Irish Whiskey) was the 2016 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Champion. He has NRHA Lifetime Earnings of $184,715.
- Electric Genes: the 2010 mare currently owned by Tamarack Ranch LLC) is by Jacs Electric Spark and out of Taris Designer Genes (by Mr Boomerjac); She has lifetime NRHA earnings of $89,913, finishing in the top five it the 2013 NRHA Futurity Open and reserve champion in other large open events. Her star continues to rise thanks to her offspring.
- Custom Spook: The 2007 gelding by Smart Spook and out of Custom Spinderella (by Custom Crome) has lifetime NRHA earnings of $235,749. Most recently, Fappani showed this treasured gelding to win the $50,000 Freestyle Invitational at 2019 The Run for a Million.
- Tinker With Guns: Now owned by Silver Spurs Equine, the 2006 sorrel stallion by Gunner and out of Tinker Nic (by Reminic) has lifetime NRHA earnings of $344,117. Tinker With Guns placed in the top five at the 2009 NRHA Futurity Open, was the 2011 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open Champion, and came back in 2012 to tie for Reserve in the NRHA Derby Level 4 Open.
- Taris Designer Genes: the 2003 buckskin mare by Mr Boomerjac and out of Taris Little Vintage (by Peppy San Badger) has NRHA lifetime earnings of $253,065. This standout mare won the 2006 NRHA Futurity Open. Now owned by Tamarack Ranch, Taris Designer Genes is the dam of earners of $423,529 in the NRHA.
- Mr Boomerjac: Now owned by Christine Brazeau, the 1994 stallion by Boomernic out of Boggies Last Jac (by Hollywood Jac 86) has NRHA lifetime earnings of $138,829. Mr Boomerjac placed in the top five of the Open division at the 1997 NRHA Futurity, won the 1998 National Reining Breeders Cup (now called the National Reining Breeders Classic), and competed in the 2007 FEI World Reining Masters.