Along with a recommendation to postpone or cancel shows through April 20, the National Cutting Horse Association (NCHA) has suspended several program standings.
Earnings and points that normally count toward a myriad of annual year-end awards will not be calculated for the standings if earned at events between March 18 and May 17. They will, however, count toward eligibility for the 2020 point year. The moratorium was issued as additional incentive for cutters to follow government recommendations to slow the spread of COVID-19, a respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus.
“This suggestion follows President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) recommendation that event organizers postpone events of more than 10 people,” the NCHA said in a statement. “The health and safety of members, show staff, exhibitors and spectators is our top priority.”
The suspension of NCHA program standings will affect several titles: World championships; Youth World championships; Rookie of the Year; Youth Rookie of the Year; Open, Non-Pro and Amateur Horse of the Year; Amateur Rider of the Year; Senior World Tour championships; Regional 4/5/6-Year-Olds; Challenger and Regional championships; and area leaders.
While the current moratorium lasts until May 17, “this timeframe may be further modified as additional directives are received from the CDC,” the NCHA said, also recommending “show producers make the decision to postpone or cancel in a timely manner to accommodate members that may need to travel to attend.”
Effective March 18, the NCHA’s headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas, closed to allow for the social distancing recommended by the CDC. The staff moved to remote work through at least March 31, when officials will reassess.
In addition, the NCHA placed a stay on event approvals for 60 days, ending May 17. It said after that time, it “will be as accommodating as possible to reschedule or approve new events.”
- ICHA Spring Weekends, Nampa, ID: March 19-22
- J5 Arena PK Cutters, Weatherford, TX: March 20-22
- Big Country CHA, Sweetwater, TX: March 20-21
- 2020 Acadian CHA, Sulphur, LA: March 21-22
- State of Missouri CHA, Lebanon, MO: March 21-22
- Oregon CHA Weekend Show, Madras, OR: March 26-29
- NCHA Challenger Italy Challenge Futurity, Cremona, Italy: March 26-29
- SFI Spring Break Weekend Cutting, Lyons, KS: March 28-29
- 3 Amigos Weekend Show, Gonzales, TX: April 10-11
- Breeder’s Invitational, Tulsa, OK: May 9-23