Entry deadlines are coming up fast for a number of youth activities at the National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Derby in Oklahoma City.
Applications to be part of Team NRHA in the NRHA Collegiate Catch Ride are due Friday, May 18, to Lerin Thomas, NRHA Youth Programs Advisor. Held June 29, the event pairs some of the nation’s top young reiners on horses they’ve never ridden before and have precious little time to get to know before they ride into Jim Norick Arena.
The event is one of many youth-centered events at the Derby, which traditionally hosts a variety of programs and activities that cater to the association’s youth. This year’s lineup includes contests, parties and events, including:
* The fiesta-themed Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) welcome party at 5 p.m., Friday, June 22, at NRHA Headquarters will have inflatables, food trucks and more.
* The NRHyA Delegate Retreat and Officer Workshop on Tuesday, June 26, will teach delegates about their responsibilities. Time and location will be announced.
* The CINCH NRHyA Speaking Contest at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, June 27, has competition categories in prepared public speaking (leadership or equine topics), community service presentations or “A: General” delivery from the NRHA Handbook. Entry forms can be found on nrhya.com and should be sent to Lerin Thomas, NRHA Youth Programs Advisor, by June 1.
* The NRHyA Art & Photo Contest also will be held during the Derby. The deadline for entry is June 1. Categories are photography, artwork and graphic artwork.
* The Hay Day Horse Day—an equine experience and community service project – will allow participants to learn more about horses, equipment, tack and more while interacting with students from Oklahoma City’s public-school system. Date, time and location will be announced.
* The NRHyA meeting will be at 3 p.m., Thursday, June 28 at the Platinum Zone. It
Visit nrhaderby.com for more information on schedules and hotel accommodations.