Five top horses and riders have been chosen to represent the United States in reining at the 2018 FEI World Equestrian Games.
USEF Reining on Friday announced the lineup that will compete in September at Tryon International Equestrian Center in Mill Spring, North Carolina. They are (in alphabetical order):
* Casey Deary, of Weatherford, Texas, will ride Hilldale Farm’s Heavy Duty Chex, a seven-year-old stallion (Nu Chex To Cash x Rondas Tio x Teninolena Badger).
* Dan Huss, of Scottsdale, Arizona, will ride Ms Dreamy, an eight-year-old mare (Magnum Chic Dream x A Gal With A Gun x Colonels Smoking Gun [Gunner]) owned by Frederick R. Christen.
* Jordan Larson , of Valley View, Texas, will ride National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Futurity Level 4 Open Co-Champion ARC Gunnabeabigstar, a seven-year-old stallion (Gunnatrashya x Wimpys Little Chic x Wimpys Little Step) owned by HDC Quarter Horses USA LLC.
* Cade McCutcheon , of Aubrey, Texas, will ride Custom Made Gun, a seven-year-old stallion (Gunner x Custom Made Dunit x Hollywood Dun It) owned and bred by McQuay Stables.
* Tom McCutcheon, of Aubrey, Texas, will ride The Wizster, an eight-year-old gelding (Gallo Del Cielo[Rooster] x Miss Whizard Jac x Whizard Jac) owned by Turnabout Farm, Inc.
The team was chosen from a list of horse-and-rider combinations submitted for recommendation to the US Equestrian Board o Directors. The reccomendations were made after the USEF Selection Trails CRI3, which was held last week during the Carolina Classic at Tryon International Equestrian Center.
The competition came down to a tie between Arc Gunnabeabigstar and Larson, and Ms Dreamy and Huss. Both riders marked a composite 450 in the two-round competition.
Placings at the Trials were factored into the nominating process.
Also on Friday, USEF Reining named the following reserve combinations (alphabetical order):
* Emily Emerson, of Elbert, Colorado, and Wind Er Up Wimp, a nine-year-old stallion (Wimpys Little Step x Wind Er Up Doc x Docs Sidewinder) owned by Susan Geiger
* Jeremy Gates, of Bloomingburg, New York, and Lil Dreamin Magnum, a seven-year-old stallion (Magnum Chic Dream x Myo Starlight x Paddys Irish Whiskey) owned by Kathy Biesecker
* Gabe Hutchins, of Joseph, Oregon, and FM Shine N Tag Chex, a seven-year-old stallion (Whiz N Tag Chex x Shine With Wanda x Shining Spark) owned by Tamarack Ranch.
* Cameron Meissner, of Manhattan, Montana, and Gold Flash Whiz, a 13-year-old gelding (Topsail Whiz x Hollywood Sparkles x Shining Spark) owned by Ardyce Swain
* Matt Mills, of Scottsdale, Arizona, and Wimps Cool Breeze, an eight-year-old stallion (Wimpys Little Step x QHR Jamaica Express x Zan Parr Express) owned by Janice Dickson
For more news and information from the Western performance horse industry, subscribe to Quarter Horse News.