High-level youth cutting competition, free pizza and lots of fun are the cornerstones of this year’s Youth Week festivities July 24-29 during the National Cutting Horse Association (NCHA) Summer Spectacular in Fort Worth, Texas.
The National Youth Cutting Horse Association (NYCHA) series of events will kick off with a free Cutting Horse Central clinic on July 24. It will wrap up with the awards banquet, auction gala and dance on July 29.
Competition includes the Youth Scholarship Cutting and the Youth World Finals, which features three rounds of head-to-head battles among the top 15 in the Junior and Senior Youth divisions.
The Bellamy Brothers will perform on Friday in Will Rogers Auditorium.
Last year, Kenli Marvin, of Barnsdale, Oklahoma, won the Senior Youth World Championship with MK Vivian (Kit Dual x Runnin Mate x Smart Mate). The Junior Youth World Championship went to Hempstead, Texas, resident Lexy Slaughter and Frecky Lena Pep (Mr Peppys Freckles x Boblena x Bob Acre Doc).
The 2016 Senior Youth Scholarship Championship went to Lane Cooper, who marked a record 233 with Holly Is Smooth (Smooth As A Cat x Holly N Zack x Zack T Wood). Katherine Queen, of Allendale, South Carolina, won the 2016 Junior Youth Scholarship Championship with Princess And The Pea (Halreycious x A Purrfect Cat x High Brow Cat).
- Monday, July 24
- 10 a.m. – Cutting Horse Central clinic in Watt Arena
- 3 p.m. – Youth Week check-in at the French Room
- 4:15 p.m. – World finalist meeting in the McFarland Room
- 4:45 p.m. – Brief question-and-answer session about Youth Week in the stands at Watt Arena
- 5 p.m. – Family Fun Night & Pizza Party in Watt Arena
- Tuesday, July 25
- 9 a.m. – Junior Youth Scholarship Cutting go-round in Watt Arena, followed by the Quiz Bowl in the South Texas Room
- Youth World Finals go-rounds begin in Will Rogers Coliseum after completion of the Unlimited Amateur. Juniors will go first
- Wednesday, July 26
- 9 a.m. – Senior Youth Scholarship Cutting go-round in Watt Arena
- 5:30 p.m. – Youth World finalists line up in the Will Rogers tunnel for rider introductions
- 6 p.m. – Cattle in for the Youth World Finals go-rounds in Will Rogers Coliseum; Juniors will go first.
- Thursday, July 27
- 9 a.m. – Donut breakfast and leadership conference in the South Texas Room
- 1 p.m. – Pizza and general meeting in the South Texas Room
- 5:30 p.m. – Draw party and food truck fun at Cowgirl Hall of Fame. The food trucks will be out front. There will be live entertainment. Party is followed by a dance at the Round Up Inn.
- Friday, July 28
- Noon – Finalists in Junior and Senior Youth Scholarship Cuttings line up in the Will Rogers tunnel for the grand entry and rider introductions. Scholarship cutting finals will be followed by the Youth World Finals.
- 8 p.m. – NYCHA and Cowboy Trailer Sales Presents: The Bellamy Brothers with special guest Jason Cassidy at Will Rogers Auditorium.
- Saturday, July 29
- Noon – Talent show in the South Texas Room.
- 6 p.m. – Banquet and auction gala in Round Up Inn, followed by a dance.
For complete coverage of the Youth events at the NCHA Summer Spectacular, subscribe to Quarter Horse News.