- Created on Tuesday, 05 June 2012
- Written by Press Release
- Hits: 836
Thursday, Aug. 9 at 9 a.m. begins the weekend with a Stock Horse of Texas (SHOT) Clinic at the S.A.L.E. Arena at Sul Ross State University.
Friday morning 9 a.m. there is a SHOT competition at the arena. Also on Friday morning is a Cutting Competition at the o6 Flats arena. That evening at 7 p.m. starts the first of two performances of the Big Bend Ranch Rodeo. There is a dance following the rodeo at the Lobo Bar.
Big Bend Ranch Rodeo events include:
· Ranch Bronc Riding — One member from each team will be required to ride a bucking horse for eight seconds in a working ranch saddle and one-rein halter.
· Wild Cow Milking — Four members from each team will be required to rope a cow and milk her in less than two minutes. Milking may not commence until the rope is off the cow, so three men must hold her.
· Team Doctoring — Three members from each team must pick one numbered animal from a large herd, rope it, and place a non-toxic paint mark between the animal’s eyes in less than two minutes.
· Team Branding — Up to six members from each team can compete here. Two teams will compete at the same time and they each have two minutes to rope, throw and mark with non-toxic paint, two calves each.
· Team Sorting — Four men from each team have two minutes to sort out five head of cattle from a herd. The catch is that these cows are numbered and the cowboys must sort them in numerical order based on a starting number called out by the announcer.
These five events earn teams points toward qualifying for the World Championship Ranch Rodeo in November and the winner of the Big Bend Ranch Rodeo automatically wins a place in the World championships. In addition to these events, there will some events for kids and door prize opportunities.
Saturday, Aug. 11 at 9 a.m. starts off with the RHAA competition and at 10 a.m. with a 17-and-under working cow horse event. Both events showcase the talent of the rider and the horse in many ranch related exercises. The Saturday night Ranch Rodeo performance is at 7 p.m. and will end with the awards ceremony.
The final event in this weekend will be a cowboy dance at The Lobo — Highland Inn immediately following the awards ceremony. The band will be GUNSLINGER. On Sunday, there will be a church service at the Big Bend Cowboy Church at 10:30 a.m.
Call Chachi Hawkins at 432-364-2696 or Monty Kimball at 432-294-0300 for more information on the Big Bend Ranch Rodeo weekend. Visit the website at www.bigbendranchrodeo.com.